• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) "off topic" root discussion

I can see it in ES File Explorer and in MiXplorer. I wonder if it's just a standard file included with Android, regardless of wireless charging capability. I've got a Qi charging pad at home, when I'm off work later I'll put my ZMP on it for funsies, though I don't expect anything to happen.

i don't think it would work without that adapter I was talking about.

Upvote 0
True Supergear, but thats part of the sweetness of root, not having to pay for things your device can already do ;) play music in background/ WiFi tether etc. Free is key. I dig Mozilla and hate the fact YouTube injected its perfectness with ads and now wants you to pay to remove them bleh (I'll stay on topic :p)
AdBlocker doesn't need root, just a APN edit, granted it's easier with root but it works fine without.

Reactions: Odin89
Upvote 0
True Supergear, but thats part of the sweetness of root, not having to pay for things your device can already do ;) play music in background/ WiFi tether etc. Free is key. I dig Mozilla and hate the fact YouTube injected its perfectness with ads and now wants you to pay to remove them bleh (I'll stay on topic :p)

I just pay the $10 a month to google to shut them up. Rooted or not, PC or no, background play works with no ads across all of my devices, plus some goodies from Play Music.

Small price to pay and easier instead of spending days scraping around web for a workaround. On one device. ;)

Oh yeah, back on topic.....

Reactions: Odin89
Upvote 0
I just pay the $10 a month to google to shut them up. Rooted or not, PC or no, background play works with no ads across all of my devices, plus some goodies from Play Music.

Small price to pay and easier instead of spending days scraping around web for a workaround. On one device. ;)

Oh yeah, back on topic.....
I wish to have enough money to pay all kind of subscriptions and don't have the need of rooting anymore.

Upvote 0
Hey yall quit being so debbie downer!! There are real efforts taking place, carried out by really knowledgeable individuals, it sucks roots not readily available but if theres nothing we can offer in aid then really all we can do is wait and help test newly found exploits instead of posting negative comments that really just hinder the forum and counter product all the efforts of everyone still hard at work :) im positive with as much attention as the device has gotten it will gain root.

Upvote 0
So I have a question and I'm not sure if it has been brought up before and answered. I just updated to b12 thru my SDcard (thanks @MigDaMusicMan for the zip idea and @onaikel for the update file). Is there a way to modify the update file to get root?
View attachment 113289
Thank you for your re-post on how to update to b12. I purchase another zmax pro because of the video calling and i bought a new laptop waiting to get back into my android work.
I tried to update using my laptop via adb sideload but it would give error ks ....blah blah..
Changing the .up to.zip and simply enter recovery mode and flash the zip from your ext sd card. Now im on B12.
I can care less about root on this phone. my lg g stylo 2 plus rooted is my daily driver.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Our phone stomps the s4 if you ask me Mr Charles :p in no way is it half, with obviously a bigger screen, later os, same ram double processor power and way way bigger battery, adreno 405 vs your 320, better forward camera, the print scanner and oh ya way more bandwidth ;) you do have the internal storage trophy tho haha (our expandable storage is compatable with higher GB sd than s4 I believe) juuuust sayin haha.

Reactions: enesha
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones