• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][Beta][FINAL] CM7 Android For Triumph [Tickerguy Edition, Kernel: mine] 11/19

Thanks, I used winrar, and opened the archive, and just dragged, and dropped to update the the file. Formatted /system only, and flashed it (really didn't want to have to wipe everything). So far, it's working like a charm. I've re-hidden my SSID, and it connects just fine.

Thank you so much for this find!

Just so I have this straight, discovering hidden SSID is only useful if you know the password anyway. Like when (and if) you've hidden the SSID on your own router, correct?

Upvote 0
Just so I have this straight, discovering hidden SSID is only useful if you know the password anyway. Like when (and if) you've hidden the SSID on your own router, correct?

Depending on the type of encryption that you are using on your wireless router, people may still be able to hack into your network. For example, if you have an older wireless router that can only use WEP encryption, I'd advise that you hide it since I've heard that, using the right tools, people can crack WEP encryption pretty quickly and gain access to your network.

And basically, it's just another layer of security that you can easily set. So if it's available, why not use it?

Reactions: GingerHail
Upvote 0
Depending on the type of encryption that you are using on your wireless router, people may still be able to hack into your network. For example, if you have an older wireless router that can only use WEP encryption, I'd advise that you hide it since I've heard that, using the right tools, people can crack WEP encryption pretty quickly and gain access to your network.

And basically, it's just another layer of security that you can easily set. So if it's available, why not use it?

OK so this, for the most part, is for security savvy users on their own networks at their home or business? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Is there any way to get rid of superuser? I think not, but thought I'd check to make sure.

Superuser allows other programs to have access to files in your phone that I can do what it was installed to do. Setcpu is used to speed up the phone by programing a file in the root of the phone's file directories to manipulate the speed.

Upvote 0
Superuser allows other programs to have access to files in your phone that I can do what it was installed to do. Setcpu is used to speed up the phone by programing a file in the root of the phone's file directories to manipulate the speed.

I know, thanks.
Never mind, I found it. Just experimenting a little... its ok. ; ) Just wondered why the apk didn't show in Ti back up.

Upvote 0

Anyone who is capable of cracking your WEP encryption also will find your hidden SSID. In fact, 'hidden' SSIDs are anything but - your network routinely sends the name of the SSID in plaintext (unencrypted), even if you have encryption enabled.

Hiding your SSID (if you have encryption enabled) is completely a waste of time and discouraged by Microsoft, among others.

Edit: that being said, for some of us (myself included) you still have to deal with hidden SSIDs which are out of your control. So it'd be nice if wpa_supplicant let you connect to them. It is just a complete waste to hide your own network's SSID. It is the essence of 'security theater', and if it is the only 'security' you use then I am glad you are willing to have an open network for others to use! ;)

Upvote 0
I appreciate the concern, but I've never needed it before. Just seems to be a bit of a nuisance. Apparently it is in the kernel of this ROM? If so, that's fine. Not trolling, just asking...

You don't really need Superuser.apk if you don't want to... You should be able to just delete it from the ROM before flashing it. It's in the /system/app folder. or I think if you have a file manager utility that is capable of root access, you might be able to just delete the superuser.apk file directly from the phone also--don't quote me on this though since I haven't tried it.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the concern, but I've never needed it before. Just seems to be a bit of a nuisance. Apparently it is in the kernel of this ROM? If so, that's fine. Not trolling, just asking...

Although most used Gingerbrake to Root the stock Rom but it was actually unnecessary as the Triumph was rooted out of the box and did not need Superuser for Root Apps. Weird but true as it had Sudo which is used by other Linux based operating systems to gain root access. Like me you probably did the Terminal Emulator trick with the stock Rom entering in the two lines that direct apps to Sudo for root as opposed to Su thus not needing Superuser. The other nice thing about this trick was that Root access could be easily reversed with a line inside the terminal emulator. Unless you go and install Super User which will then replace the Sudo binary with su binary. Anyhow just thought I would bring this up as I was very excited when I learned that the Triumph was actually rooted from the get go and had no need for Superuser.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I'm still waiting for my Triumph to get here. I see that GPS is confirmed as "working" as of the 9/20 build. Just curious to know, does it still takes 2 minutes for the Triumph to acquire a GPS fix? Also, once it acquires a fix, does it stay locked on long enough to, say, use Navigation without wanting to throw the phone out the window?

Ticker, sad to hear you may jumping ship on the Triumph...

Upvote 0
Well, I've been a lurker here since maybe July? Anyway, I've had the b0.6 ROM on my phone for a couple of days now, and I really like it. The phone has been on for 16 hours now, and power is at 52%. That's with a few phone calls, two downloads, some web browsing, and over an hour of playing music while working out. And I really like that the music controls show up on the lock screen.

Excellent work, Tickerguy. Thank you for all your efforts. I'm sad to see that you are probably leaving development for this phone, but I'll also be darned if I could see what you could do to make it any better than it already is.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I'm still waiting for my Triumph to get here. I see that GPS is confirmed as "working" as of the 9/20 build. Just curious to know, does it still takes 2 minutes for the Triumph to acquire a GPS fix? Also, once it acquires a fix, does it stay locked on long enough to, say, use Navigation without wanting to throw the phone out the window?

Ticker, sad to hear you may jumping ship on the Triumph...

I tried to get a lock today before I went to Winston Salem and it kept searching. So I went to the market and installed GPS Booster and Gps Fix. Once I had those when I left on my trip it locked instantly and stayed that way for the forty minute drive that it took me to get there. I also used Endomondo for my ride and it kept a lock during my one and a half hour ride. I know the ideal is to not have to use outside apps but the two don't seem to intrusive and it works for me.

Upvote 0
I've deleted the Gallery.apk, yet it still seems to take up so much battery life, or at least shows that it does:

screenshot-1320363012168.png

And it's been deleted for a while now, also I haven't used the camera today at all.

I'd charged it prior to this screenshot, it was about 87% after a 10-3 shift :)
JuiceDefender seemed to hurt my battery life because without it I last so much longer.

Upvote 0
Is hitting the power button the same hitting sleep in the dropdown cm bar? I seem to remember my friend's droid2 having sleep and screen off options in the power menu. I might be mistaken though.

Also, I saw one of the themes had extra buttons on the bottom of the launcher, but when I went to apply it, it didn't take effect. So I figure it's just an example of what's possible. How do you do this? I'd love to move gmail and messaging to the bottom with phone, appdrawer, and browser.

Thanks. Been on cm7 for the past few hours and am losing 20% an hour with no wifi. Hopefully it's just honeymoon period

Upvote 0
Is hitting the power button the same hitting sleep in the dropdown cm bar? I seem to remember my friend's droid2 having sleep and screen off options in the power menu. I might be mistaken though.

Also, I saw one of the themes had extra buttons on the bottom of the launcher, but when I went to apply it, it didn't take effect. So I figure it's just an example of what's possible. How do you do this? I'd love to move gmail and messaging to the bottom with phone, appdrawer, and browser.

Thanks. Been on cm7 for the past few hours and am losing 20% an hour with no wifi. Hopefully it's just honeymoon period

That is odd. I have been averaging 2.4%-6% per hour depending on my use which varies between moderate to a few text messages every now and then.

Upvote 0
I must say, you have a talent far beyond anything I know in my circle of friends. I apperciate your work. One day on this ROM and I'm almost gitty.
But that's not why I chimed in. I was trying to change the theme using the "Theme Chooser" that came with the ROM, but it doesn't change a thing. I downloaded what looked like the same thing from the market and it gave me a place to download themes. But even after downloading a couple of themes and trying to run them, my UI hasn't changed a bit. I have tried to shutdown and reboot.

And let me know if I should be at the website for cm7.

Found what I was looking for. I didn't realize themes were for differant launchers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones